Chapter History

In the fall of 1925, Belle Prescott Williams, (Mrs. C. R.) and Mrs. H. J. Manhart, California State Regent, took the initiative in calling a meeting to form a new chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. On December 11, 1925, Mrs. Williams was appointed organizing regent for the chapter at San Jose. Some months later, the application papers for more than twenty ladies were approved and were issued national numbers as Members at Large.

At the installation meeting in Santa Clara March 4, 1926, Mrs. Hart, State Auditor, installed the elected officers, and the new chapter was organized from these Members at Large and several transfers. By a unanimous vote, the chapter was named Santa Clara. Charter membership was closed as of September 18, 1927, with thirty-nine names on the roster.

—compiled by Mrs. Edmund W. McElligott 

Our Founding Regent, Belle Prescott Williams